cyanism

Sunday, September 18, 2005

am no filipino


Trust me,really,i'm not racist. I don't have anything against Filipino either. I've met some cool capoeirista from Filipino,who ensure me that being pregnant is not a hinderance for training. Most people in church also Filipino too (they sure really got a big population of Chatolic there).
Hoever,since i've got here people have been asking me,"Filipino?" and i'd answer,"no,Indonesian".
I'm fine for the the first times,but it's quite tiring for the oomph times.Seems like my look is not remotely "Indonesian" or even "Malay". Numerous times i've been asked as Filipino (no sir/madam I DO NOT understand Tagalog and have whatsoever intention on attending mass in tagalog) or Thai or (this is different a Mac D employee just asked my order in whatever language they're using) Myanmar. Well, at least they're still South East Asian. My friends said it's bad, because being Filipino here is identic as being a maid,and Indonesians as well. Well, i don't really care,since maid is just another profession to me.
I remember on my first year in IKJ, some people thought i was chinese (not the chinese though). I happened again here...I hope i'll get some mandarin soon,it sure can become handy. There's this lady (auntie for exact) at the eating place across my school who spoke to me in Mandarin,but when she knew i'm indonesian..then she speaks Malay.
I was really DELIGHTED. I mean it, when a new friend guessed i'm from indonesia. When i asked why, he told me it's the "r", seems like i "curled" my "r" when i speak in english (oh Mom, i think these Singlish is getting into me).
Truthfully...i miss converse in Indonesian especially in "lo-gue" manner...gimans dong?

10 Comments:

  • How bout this: you teach me Bahasa Indonesia and I teach you Mandarin? Seeing how we're both proficient in English, I don't see why it wouldn't work out well.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:29 AM  

  • some singaporeans mistake me for a filipino as well. they say, "you don't look like an indonesian" (i've been told that i have a mandarin face) or "your english is too good."

    true, there are many indonesians and filipinos working as maids in singapore. but plenty of them have fantastic jobs in singapore, as well..

    By Blogger Primadonna Angela, at 7:30 PM  

  • hwahahahh... gw kepingin denger nih kamu ngomong Singlish !

    By Blogger saut, at 8:47 PM  

  • jads gimans?
    ato gak ngoms pk bahasa mestre ajaa..
    portonglish!!

    By Blogger wenksky, at 5:21 PM  

  • eh bertii...
    kamyu sekarang sudah pindah di s'pore kah?
    sampe kapan, nak?

    By Blogger loucee, at 6:10 AM  

  • baru inget, mending mana? filipini apa bolivia? :p

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:29 PM  

  • Ngobrol sama saya ajah di tempon, nanti kita pake lo-gue deh. Hihihi...

    Yah, saya sudha kenyang dituduh ditanya diinterogasi kayak gitu. Dulu masih dijawab. Sekarang:

    + You aaa, Filipino?
    - No.

    Atau:

    + You? From Where?
    - Guess....

    Semalem ditanya sama sebelah saya:

    + Are you local?
    - Yes, for 5 years.
    + And you are here.... as....??
    - A maid!

    Hihihii....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:40 AM  

  • Halo salam kenal :). Kebeneran lagi jalan2 trus ketemu blog ini. Aku di Singapur juga and same like yours i got that question quite often. But that's still ok. Not that annoying yet. The annoying part is when people start asking, 'Oh so you're (Indonesian -red) chinese? How come you can't speak Mandarin?' $#%^@#$%#!%$#!@%!#%#!. Explaining the answer once or twice is ok but more than that, arghhhhhh...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:29 PM  

  • So what gituloh kalo nggak bisa ngomong mandarin?
    Suka sok teu orang sini..

    By Blogger nona cyan, at 11:34 PM  

  • huwahh... yang paling parah adalah gue pernah dikira orang brazil... hihihih...

    and that R rolling is true. a bule colleague of mine once said "you roll your Rs and it sounds interesting. are you sure you don't have any latin blood inside you?" hakhakhakhak... sumpah lucu abis.

    untung eke gak capoeira ya... kalo iya wuiiiihhh brazil abeeeessss...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



adopt your own virtual pet!